Monday, July 26, 2010

Lines, lines, lines

Today was very informative. This is my second time hearing the audition speech, and I feel like it was more meaningful the second time. This is in part because I am starting to take acting a lot more seriously than I did when I was in STC last year, and I plan on many auditions in the future. What I found most helpful was the advice on using a monologue to play an objective. I hadn't realized until today that monologues really aren't asking that much out of you. And they aren't mysterious scales of judgement either. They are a tool to show that you can pick an objective and pursue it. Additionally, I was reassured by Ian's disclaimer about talent agents. I've met many peers who were active actors, and their parents went all out by hiring agents. One friend in particular still won't do high school theatre because his agent is against it. I always found it silly and over the top to feel like you need an agent. And the talk today helped to reaffirm my capability as an actor ON MY OWN.

First I would like to say, thank you Chloe for putting up with my mountain of lines and reading book for me! I would have loved to watched the Saturday performance, but I honestly needed to memorize. Hopefully, my (our if you include Chloe's effort :D) hard work will pay off tomorrow.

--Dylan Goodman

p.s. THE CAVE MAN GAME IS DA BOMB! I CANNOT WAIT! FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NEW: GET EXCITED! :D X100

1 comment: